This market town in the lower Vale of Clwyd is dominated by its impressive, partly ruined castle which looks out over the valley from Ruthin to the sea at Rhyl.
Built by Henry de Lacy in 1282, the castle, with its almost complete town walls, has had a turbulent history involving Owain Glyndwr, as well as action in the Wars of the Roses, and the Civil War.
The Victorian explorer Sir H M Stanley was born here, and Dr Samuel Johnson loved the town so much that there is a monument on the spot by the River Lawnt where he delighted to stand and recite verses.
The area offers pony trekking and fishing, and 18 hole golf course, tennis courts, bowling green and a leisure centre. Markets are held on Wednesdays.